It all started with Prayer…
Nearly 50 years ago, in 1965, the pastor of the Christian Reformed Church in Vernon felt that community children needed more Christian nurturing than standard Sunday school programs. Consequently, every Saturday morning additional classes were held. Shortly thereafter a promotional choir of 40 children and a Christian Kindergarten were started.
Following the scripture in Proverbs 22:6, the seeds of the vision for a Christian day school in Vernon were planted.
Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.
- 1970 – Vernon Christian School Society was formed
- 1974 – $30,000 purchase of the 6.8 acres on which the EC currently resides.
- 1977 – 3-room schoolhouse was constructed during the summer
- 1977 – VCS opened its doors in September.
Those were pioneer days. It wasn’t just concrete, wood, windows and doors…it was tremendous collaboration, sweat, laughter, sacrificial giving, and ultimately, faith that constructed VCS. In 1974 a number of Christian families in the Vernon area were led to act upon the vision given them by God for a complete K – 12 Christian Education for their children.
Believing God gives parents the responsibility for educating their children, these parents formed the Vernon Christian School Society. Its objective was to establish a Christian Day School in Vernon to serve as an educational arm of the Christian home.
The vision became a reality in 1977 when Vernon Christian School first opened its doors at its present location. Ten years later the school had grown to a student population of 116 students. In 1989 the first Kindergarten was offered at VCS. As the student population grew so did the need for expanding the facilities.
We’ve grown up over the years. Several additions and renovations allowed VCS to accommodate a student body from K-Gr 10.
- 1995 – Gymnasium was built. The vision for a middle and high school program propelled the society to vision cast for a new building on the property next door.
- 1997 the new concept of a Middle School was introduced for Grades 7, 8 and 9.
- 2004 – The doors opened to the new secondary campus built through the generous support of friends & families.
- 2009 – Saw the addition of a preschool program neatly tucked into our Elementary Campus.
Dreams and visions…all representing God’s hand in helping us equip our students for a life of discipleship through excellent education in Christian community. It is and has been a great and exciting journey.